Recently the company newsletter asked employees to share their favorite gardening tips. Mine were so warmly received I decided to share them with my blog friends too. Gardening tips are my forte and I’ve got a million, but I’ll share a few.
- Always be aware of the cord when using an electric hedge trimmer.
- If you are weeding on a hill make sure your wheelbarrow is horizontal to the slope.
- Assume you have dirt on your nose if a neighbor comes over to say hi.
- Never be shy about making up Latin names when asked to identify plants when you aren’t sure if it is a weed or something you actually planted.
- Sunscreen, good gloves, and a hat are not optional.
- Encourage the dogs to chase rabbits and chipmunks.
- A great blade sharpener is worth the extra expense.
- Be generous with giving away cuttings, splittings and babies. It’s amazing how many gifts you get in return.
- Embrace xeriscaping or at least mention that is why you don’t water regularly.
- Avoid drinking wine while shopping plant catalogues during the coldest days of winter.
- Give away beetle bags to strangers in distant neighborhoods.
- It is okay to plant your vegetables and herbs in with the flowers.
- If you like it then it is a flower. If you don’t then it is a weed.
- Take photos of your gardens so you remember what you planted where.
And most of all, take a moment or two to step back and enjoy your flower beds and veggie gardens.